1. The next CJI Justice Gogoi will take over as the 46th Chief Justice of India
- The Chief Justice of India, Dipak Misra, due to retire in October, has named the senior-most judge of the Supreme court after him as his successor.
- Justice Gogoi will take over as the 46th Chief Justice of India on October3, a day after CJI Misra retires.
- Justice Ranjan Gagoi is a Judge of the Supreme Court of India since April, 2012. Prior to his present post, he was the Chief Justice ,Punjab and Haryana High Court.
- His father Keshab Chandra Gogoi was a Chief minister under the Indian National Congress regime in the state of Assam in the year in the year 1982.
2. Vice President to visit US to participate in 2nd World Hindu Congress
- The Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu to visit United States of America on September 8-9, 2018 to address the 2nd Hindu Congress being held in Chicago on the occasion of 125 Anniversary of Swami Vivekananda’s Historic Speech at the Parliament of the World’s Religious in 1893.
- The Vice President will also Participate in a programme organized by Telugu Associations of the US at Hindu Temple of Greater Chicago.
- He will also participate in bilateral discussion with several world leaders, who are attending this event, on the sidelines of this Congress.
3. BEL gets contract for surface-to-air missiles
- A Rs 9,200 crore order for supply of seven long range surface-to-air missile (LRSAM) systems has pushed the order book of state-run Bharat Electronics Ltd beyond Rs 50,000 crore for the first time in a single financial year.
- The company has entered into contracts worth about Rs 9,200 crore with Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL) and Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) to supply LRSAM systems.
- BEL is state-owned leading defence electronics company. It is one of nine PSUs under the Union Ministry of Defence of India.
4. Bhagwati Kumar Sharma, noted Gujarati author passes away
- Bhagwati Kumar Sharma, noted Gujarati language author and poet passed away at the age of 84 years.
- Sharma wrote novels, short stories, poetry, essays and criticism and received Ranjitram Suvarna Chandraka in 1984 and Sahitya Academy award in 1988 for his novel ‘Assoryalok’
- His selected stories were published as Bhagavatikumarni Shresth Vartao in 1987. His collections of essays are ‘Shabdateet’ in 1980, ‘Bistantu’ in 1988, ‘Hriday Sarasa’ in 1995, ‘Dandiya Dool’ in 2005, ‘Jadabatod’ in 2006.
5. Indian Navy Beats 22 Other Teams To Win KAKADU-18 Cup
- The Indian Navy left its mark in Australia as it participated in a multilateral maritime exercise involving 27 navies.
- Exercise KAKADU, which started in 1993, is a premier multilateral regional maritime engagement hosted by the Royal Australian Navy and supported by Royal Australian Air Force.
- KAKADU 2018 is a biannual joint exercise taking place both ashore and at sea off the coast of Darwin.
- The exercise KAKADU derives its name Kakadu National Park which is a protected area in the northern territory of Australia, 171 km south-east of Darwin.
6. BSNL Ropes in Boxer Mary Kom on Board as Brand Ambassador for 2 Years
- BSNL hits a double whammy as it brings in decorated boxer Mary Kom as its brand ambassador for two years and also signed a MoU with the Indian Army for providing them with telecom services for the next three years, all across India.
- According to Aruna Sundararajan, Secretary, Telecom, in the competitive telecom sector, associating with Mary Kom will help BSNL in improving its brand image and attract more customers.
- The two-year contract will see boxer Mary Kom endorsing as well as engaging in various promotional events organized by BSNL for its different telecom services.
7. Govt makes Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana open-ended scheme
- The government decided to make the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) an open-ended scheme and added more incentives to encourage people to open bank accounts.
- The flagship financial inclusion scheme was launched in August 2014 for a period of four years.
- The free accident insurance cover for those opening Jan Dhan accounts after August 28 too has been doubled to Rs 2 lakh.
- The age limit for availing overdraft facility under this revised to 18 to 65 years from the earlier 18 to 60 years.
8. Indian Air Force successfully carries first-ever mid-air refuelling of fighter aircraft Tejas
- A dry run of mid-air refuelling of Tejas fighter jet by an Indian Air Force aircraft was successfully conducted.
- The test conducted involved a dry linkup, meaning no fuel was actually transferred between Indian Air Force Il-78 tanker and Tejas fighter jet through its air-to-air refuelling probe.
- For this test, Russian-built IL-78 MKI tanker was launched from IAF’s base in Agra while LCA Tejas fighter was launched from Gwalior.